Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The North Market

This has always been one of my favorite places to be in Columbus. I have been in the market many times, mostly when I lived in Victorian Village way back when (well, ok, about 10 years ago) and German Village. Now that I don't really live close to the city center, I don't get to stop here as often as I did when I lived somewhat closer to downtown. But today we took the day off and I had been wanting to get some of my favorite Portuguese chouriço, which is pretty hard to get in Columbus and I know The Best of the Wurst, in the North Market, was one place that carried it. While the large iconic neon sign over the front of the building is one of the top 20 probably in Columbus, the inside of the public market has neon signage as varied as the tenants who do business here. Some awesome neon, to go along with the awesome food and goods sold here. It was pretty crowded for a Wednesday, mostly the downtown office crowd on lunch hours, so there wasn't a picnic table to be had on this beautiful early spring afternoon. Got a beef brisket sandwich with green beans from Holy Smoke BBQ (VERY good, though not as good as
RayRay's
) and ate up in the "balcony" area. All pictures were taken the afternoon of Wed. 3/7.













So glad we decided to come here today, got a few great things, an amazing lunch, and ended up doing a short impromptu tour..all on a sunny mild afternoon. More information about The North Market can be found
here
.

2 comments:

Lani Chin said...

Hi, thanks for following my blog! You've got some great stuff here too. If you've read enough it, you'll know I'm a fellow Whitehall-Yearling grad (class of 1978) BTW, Jong Mea closed in 1985 or so. I don't know the exact year, as my aunt and uncle were managing the place at the time.

Columbus Neon said...

Thank you Lani! I have heard a lot about the place but I sadly missed out on both the food (huge fan of Chinese food, especially Cantonese) and the sign. Yep, I think I first noticed you were a WYHS grad on facebook on one of the Whitehall groups. I see you are also a fellow bowler. Main Lanes is completely torn down now and the new Children's Services building is going up. Bahhh. I still find it hard to believe that there are only 3 open bowling centers in San Francisco??