Monday, February 11, 2008

Back from the dead..

Well as you may have noticed, I haven't been around for over a month. Some things happened in mid January that were beyond my control and have not been able to get out there for photos. One of the problems is that I did not have a car for most of the month but that just recently changed and hope to get back to neon blogging ASAP, as early as this week, again. I am really looking forward to having some time to get to the downtown area and short north/campus. I also have a few gems in Westerville I have been wanting to share, and that should be an easier tour since it is so close to my job.


Well there WAS some Columbus neon news actually though. As I was driving in the area of Main and James I noticed that the sign for the now vacant Mirage had fallen to the ground. Poof. Crash. Down. I could not immediately tell if this was done by an accident, vandalism, or plain old decay. From what I can tell though, I think it just fell apart, after years of harsh Columbus winters, summers, pollution, and lack of upkeep. When I photographed the sign for this blog a few months ago, it was obvious that it was in a state of disrepair, but I never got the impression that the whole structure would come down. The sign still functioned, but barely, and I hadn't seen it look good for at least ten years (I remember the first time I saw it around 1994 I thought it was pretty neat). And even if you did not like the establishment, or like what it brought to the area, the sign did actually look cool at one time, but that time was sadly, many years ago. A writer for a small local newspaper here noticed it and wrote a commentary about lack of care by the city when it comes to run down buildings, signs, and how it cerates an atmosphere of crime. Here is the link: http://www.columbusmessenger.com/NC/0/2114.html

No comments: